Volleyball Plucks Warhawks in Straight Sets
2019 Nov 20
The Mississippi College volleyball team posted its second straight, Gulf South Conference sweep and the third out of the last four outings as it revenged an earlier season setback to Auburn University at Montgomery on Friday, Nov. 8 inside A.E. Wood Colisem.
Jamie Boros led the Choctaws with 12 kills on the evening. Lexie Laurendine and Levi Lennard each notched double-digit assists in the contest. Laurendine led the way with 15 while Lennard poured in 14. Defensively, Julia Martinrecorded a roster-best 17 digs while Kate Bass posted four solo blocks.
Game Score: Mississippi College 3 | Auburn-Montgomery 0
Date: Friday, Nov. 8, 2019
Location: Clinton, Miss. | A.E. Wood Coliseum
Records: Choctaws 10-19, 5-8 GSC | Warhawks 16-13, 7-7 GSC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mississippi College used a 5-0 run early in the opening set to grab an 11-4 lead. AUM cut the deficit to 11-8, but a second 5-0 expanded the lead and the Choctaws rode the scoring swings to a 22-12 lead and finally a 25-18 win.
- MC grabbed an 18-13 lead in the second set and closed the set out scoring seven of the final eight points en route to a 25-14.
- Tied 10-10, the Choctaws went on a 6-0 run to grab a 16-10 advantage. MC ended the set on a 5-1 run to clinch the match 25-17.
INSIDE THE BOX
- The win marked the third in the series for the Choctaws and snapped a two-match skid to the Warhawks.
- The sweep is the sixth this season for the Navy and Gold and fourth in conference play.
- Boros collected her team-best 21st match with double-digit kills and 36th of her career.