Volleyball Sets Sights on GSC Tournament
2019 Dec 10
The Mississippi College volleyball team fell in straight sets at Valdosta State University on Saturday, Nov. 16. The setback places MC as the No. 8 seed in the Gulf South Conference Tournament next weekend in Pensacola, Fla., and the campus of the University of West Florida.
The tournament berth is the first for the program since 2009, when the Navy and Gold made the American Southwest Conference field. The appearance is the first for the Choctaws in the GSC Tournament since 1994.
Jamie Boros reached double figure kills as she totaled a team-best 10 in the contest. Lexie Laurendine and Kendall Platt each added eight to finish tied for second on the team. Levi Lennard led the way with a roster-best 20 assists while Laurendine added 16 assists.
Defensively, a trio of Choctaws notched double-digit digs in the outing led by Julia Martin's 12. Platt added 11 while Laurendine recorded 10. Kate Bass registered three blocks followed by Autumn Frost and Lexi Richards with two apiece.
Game Score: Mississippi College 0 | Valdosta State 3
Date: Saturday, Nov. 16, 2019
Location: Valdosta, Ga. | The Complex
Records: Choctaws 10-22, 5-11 GSC | Blazers 13-19, 5-11 GSC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The two teams exchanged leads in a tightly contested opener. Trailing 9-7, VSU used a 5-0 run to grab a 12-9 lead. MC knotted the contest at 12-all behind a Frost kill, but the Red and Black responded with three straight points and never trailed the remainder of the set, en route to a 25-19 win.
- The Blazers jumped out to a 6-3 lead in the second set and extended the lead to 16-11 as it claimed a 25-19 victory and took a 2-0 lead in the match.
- The Choctaws battled back from an 18-11 deficit to take a 22-21 lead in the third. The Blazers lined up for match-point at 24-22, but the Navy and Gold fought off VSU to hold a 25-24 lead. The two teams exchanged a couple different lead changes, but a Boros kill placed MC up 28-27 with set-point. However, a pair of Blazer kills placed the Red and Black up 29-28 and a MC attack error sealed the match with a 30-28, third-set outcome.
INSIDE THE BOX
- Boros notched her 23rd contest this season with double-digit kills and 38th career.
- Lexie Laurendine recorded her 11th double-double of the season and 16th of her career.
- The 20-assist performance marked the second of the season for Levi Lennard. She's tallied 15-plus assists in the last three contests and 20-plus in two of the last three.